By Loren Pritchett, ChildFund staff writer
To build awareness around World Water Day on March 22, ChildFund is asking its Twitter followers to compose their best tweets to shed light on the issues of water insecurity for children around the world.
Starting March 18, ChildFund’s Twitter followers are encouraged to “tweet out” about water issues or ways to solve them. The individual who tweets the most inspiring message will have a 1,000 liter water tank delivered in their honor to a family in Mexico (valued at $190). Four runners-up will each have an apple tree seedling and a watering can delivered in their honor to a child in Ethiopia (valued at $15). Both prizes will be sent from our Gifts of Love & Hope catalog; plus, all winners will receive a piece of ChildFund swag!
How to Enter:
- Follow ChildFund on Twitter. (All tweeters must follow ChildFund so that we can communicate with winners and finalists through Twitter direct messages.)
- Compose a tweet bringing awareness to the issue of water insecurity for children and/or World Water Day. Each tweet must include the hashtag #Water4Children.
- Tweet as often as you like between March 18 and March 22. Each tweet must be original and posted by 11:59 p.m. on March 22.
Think of yourself as a World Water Day ambassador. We encourage each tweeter to think of a short but compelling message to inform their followers of the issues of water insecurity – especially for children. Think of the kids who fall ill from drinking unsanitary water; the farmers in drought-stricken regions who have lost their livelihoods during dry conditions and therefore cannot provide nutritious food to their children; or the young people who walk 4 miles multiple times a day to collect water.
Sample Tweets to Get You Started
- #Water4Children is fuel for life.
- A child’s access to clean water is a necessity. It should not be a luxury. #Water4Children
- 780 mil people lack access to clean water. Together we can help. #Water4Children
Start Tweeting Today!
The five-day tweet-off runs until 11:59 (ET) Friday, March 22 (World Water Day). A panel of ChildFund staff members will choose the top five tweets and we’ll announce the winner and four finalists on Monday, March 25, 2013. Remember: we cannot see your tweets without the hashtag #Water4Children.
The Rules in One Easy List
- Follow ChildFund on Twitter. Send a compelling, informative tweet with the hashtag #Water4Children. Multiple original tweets are encouraged.
- The “tweet-out” starts March 18 and will conclude on March 22 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time).
- An internal panel of judges at ChildFund International will select the top five tweets.
- On March 25, ChildFund will announce the 5 winners on ChildFund’s Twitter, Facebook and Blog.
- ChildFund will notify winners through Twitter direct messages.
It’s that simple – tweet out! Do your part to build awareness; join the conversation and get people talking about World Water Day and why children deserve clean water.